If you are trying to stay in the true Spirit of the season, skip this post.
So, it's that time of year that kids have eagerly anticipated for the past 12 months... Santa Claus is Comin' to Town!
I remember the days when I would reluctantly go to bed and could hardly sleep, so excited about what would await me Christmas morning. These were the early years before I started unwrapping (then re-wrapping) my presents weeks before Christmas while my parents were gone from the house out of sheer anticipation. On Christmas morning, we'd always start with Santa... whose gifts were never wrapped but stacked by the fireplace, with our full stockings pulled down from the mantle for easy access. This is still the routine after all these years. My brother and I figured out as long as we believed in Santa, he'd continue to come. So he still visits us now!
Of course, after Santa come the wrapped presents under the tree. Here's where things can get exciting. Santa was (and is) pretty predictable. Sure, he'll come up with a few surprises every year, but he's consistently spot on. And truthfully, so are most of the presents under the tree. But every now and then, you are slapped in the face with a surprise. Sometimes, a present can be SO BAD, it's GREAT!
Although there are a few instances for me in which this is the case, one is highly prevalent. At the time, I was probably in early high school. This particular gift was a set of pajamas, given from someone (to remain nameless) with rather ecclectic taste. The best correlation to these jammies also happens to come from another Christmas favorite.....
Need I say more?
Actually, yes I must. Let me reiterate I was in HIGH SCHOOL. No, these jammies didn't have bunny ears or bunny feet... but it did have the feet with rubber soles. Also, it was flannel. But not just any kind of flannel. It was actually transparent.... yes, I do think that means it's highly flammable. People, you can't make this stuff up. This is the BEST WORST present I ever received! What I wouldn't give to find that for a White Elephant exchange...
So as we all embark on a day of giving and receiving, I ask my dear blog friends, what is the BEST WORST gift you've ever received?
I wish you all a VERY MERRY Christmas, and here's hoping for truly great gifts for all of you! (Unless they are so bad they are actually good!!!!) But even more importantly, I pray you have a joyous time with family and friends as we celebrate the birth of our risen Lord.
P.S. You will all be glad to know that Gatsby will be getting more than a lump of coal in his stocking this year, thanks to your generous votes. As was apparent in your votes, you don't all know him as well as I do, but he's grateful nonetheless.
2 comments:
Oh Mauri, what would I give to see that picture blown up???
My best worst gift is easy to identify. Long ago, my mom lost the ability to choose clothing for me. I'm 30, and she still wants to shop for me in the juniors department. She also likes to purchase me clothing with faux fur attached, which I, of course, absolutely hate! So, a few years ago, she bought me a denim jacket with a fur collar and fur coming out of the cuffs of the sleeves. When I opened the box, Eric and I could hardly contain our laughter, but it was better when I tried it on. The fur on the sleeves protruded from the inside of the sleeves as such that it looked like I had very long hair growing on my lower arms, covering my hands. Eric immediately called me "teen wolf," and we subsequently lost all control of our laughter. Needless to say, I asked my mom for the receipt and returned the jacket. Unfortunately, we didn't get a picture.
Post a Comment