Wednesday, December 5, 2007

'Tis the Season

The Holidays are here! Generally, I love the Christmas season! But there are also some things that drive me crazy! So as the season is officially in full force, here is my list of pros and cons:


PROS:

  • Christmas decorations. My house always feels so cozy during this time of year. Once the decorations go back in the attic, the house has an empty feeling to it! It provides decorative DRAMA! And even though we still haven't bought outside lights for our house (this is the last year we will be without), I love driving around and looking at other peoples!

  • Delectable Treats. Everywhere you turn there's yummy treats. Whether it be cookies and fudge or hot chocolate and spice tea. Mmmmm. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

  • Christmas Music. Yes, I'm one of those people that loves to listen to non-stop Christmas music from Thanksgiving to Christmas. Don't hate me. Find the spirit of Christmas in yourself.

  • Christmas Cards. I love my mail this time of year! It's so nice to have something other than bills and advertisments. And even better, it's great to catch a glimpse into the lives of dear friends that we don't talk with often enough. And no, I haven't done mine yet.

  • School is OUT (and students go home!). Don't get me wrong. I love working with college students. Really. But having a month at Christmas (and another few during the summer) without them here is just enough to re-energize me. It's nice to go to a restaurant in peace and not have my phone ring at 11 o'clock at night. And since I work in the first floor of a residence hall, I've about had it with the rap that my upstairs neighbor loves to play as loud as he can. I'm particularly excited about him leaving for the holiday.

  • A Spirit of Generosity. People generally seem more hospitable and generous this time of year. It's a wonderful time of celebration with friends and family, as people open up their homes and you share life together.

  • The Reason for the Season. I know it's cliche, but during this time of advent, it's a blessing to rember the birth of Christ and anticipate his glorious return. Although we want to do this all year, its nice to have a season set aside specifically for this purpose.

  • Elfing Yourself. This CRACKS me up. I love seeing it on everyone's blogs. For your viewing pleasure, check out our elfish family at: http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1176779146

CONS:

  • Ugly Christmas Decorations. Yes, I love Christmas decorations. And I'm even one of those people that loves the excess of it all. But I hate tackiness. You know what I'm talking about. If you live in Abilene, the house on Sayles with all the plastic lawn ornaments says it all. I also hate snow globes. Sorry if you have one, I just don't like them.

  • Political Correctness. I know this is very egocentric of me, but is it really such a crime that people want to say "Merry Christmas"? It's the motivation behind the words that is important. Unlike racial slurs or derrogatory names, the heart is to simply bewstow a friendly greeting of the season.

  • Shopping Crowds. I know, it's part of it. And the flip side is it can certainly add some people watching humor. If you are ever looking for some quality people watching, try the Mall of Abilene during Christmas. I won't spoil it for you, but it's a real treat.

  • Forced Christmas Parties. Now, this is not applicable if it's a party with friends or family that you genuinely want to spend quality time with. However, the parties we all go to out of obligation are often awkward, if not all together annoying. At a time of year where we are all crunched for time, why do we find the need to spend time with people we don't the entire rest of the year?

  • 70 Degree Weather. Most of the year, this would be great. But something out Christmas requires fires in the fireplace and the ability to cuddle up under a blanket with a good book and a hot drink. And a White Christmas only comes around once in a blue moon... but I guess I can't complain too much with a White Thanksgiving this year!

There you have it. Mauri's pros and cons of the season. But all in all, I have to say I believe in the pros more than the cons can distract me. So blogworld, my question for you is: What are your Pros and Cons of the season?

13 comments:

annalee said...

loved reading your pros and cons list. as a native abilenian i must admit i just got a little reminiscent about that crazy house on sayles. it strangely draws in your attention no matter how gaudy it really is!

Andrea W. said...

I agree with most of what you said- I enjoy the Christmas music (especially now that Ashlyn sings along too), and I never want the chore of getting the mail except in December! However, I do like snow globes, they play Christmas music too and that is the only exposure to "snow" that I get all year!
Great blog... aren't you so glad you started one?

Mindi said...

I guess that I'm stilling missing the mole a litte! Right now there's still bump from where my staples are. Thanks for asking! It really was sad, and I thought that it would make a great post, and apparently I was right!!

Shannon said...

Hi Mauri! I met you at ACU through my brother in law Wade...not sure if you remember me or not. I found your blog through Meredith (old roommie).

I love that you commented on the Sayles house. It especially creeped me out with all the moving dolls in the big picture window (I think that is the same house you are talking about). Ah, the tackiness of Abilene!

Leslie said...

Love this post!

Anonymous said...

Con: Driving 24 hours to West Virginia because airline tickets are too darn expensive.

Pro: Getting to see my nephew open Christmas presents. He is overjoyed by each and every one. One year, we got him an ACU t-shirt. He opened it and said, "Oh! It's so beautiful!"

Unknown said...

I had forgotten about the house on Sayles, but now I vividly remember the creepy doll window especially! I love Christmas too! Here are my pros and cons:

Pros: Watching Jackson and my cousins' kids open presents. Kids love anything! Christmas Music. I am a big fan! I also love Christmas movies, even though most of the Christmas movies I have watched this year are of the animated variety. Oh, and seasonal pajamas for my child. : )

Cons: Inflatables in people's yards, icicle lights (sorry if you have them, but I hate them!) and shopping crowds.

Your comment about snowglobes made me laugh. Jackson REALLY wanted me to buy a large inflatable Mickey snow globe last night at home depot. We settled on a miniature Santa snowglobe that blares Christmas music quite loudly and off-key. He seemed happy even though it wasn't Mickey!

Charis said...

We used to visit the house on Sales every Christmas as a kid. They started hiring a Santa to take pictures with kids in his sleigh! What fun :) Love your list!

Jodi said...

Love the lists!!! I have many, many, pros and unfortunately many cons... mostly in the form of the Christmas "tackiness" you speak of. (Oh, yes, the Sayles House! Wow.)

I just loooove: food food and more food, classic music, old men in Christmas ties at church, wrapping presents!, holiday coffee at Starbucks, just to name a few.

I too can't stand: yard inflatables, Christmas songs that someone tried to make "their own" by ruining it and making it unrecognizeable, malls having Santa say "Ha ha ha" instead this year as to not offend women (Whuuut?!), chile pepper lights or psychadelic colored lights that blink or chase, the fact that I wore a sleeveless shirt and flip flops today... just to name a few. Not to offend anyone or anything!! But that's my miniature list for ya!

And to elaborate a bit (sorry I'm writing a novel), what is some girl gonna say? "Um, as a ho, and speaking for hoes everywhere, I'm offended by the big man in the red suit?!" How ridiculous. But hey, tis the season to be jolly!! :)

Meredith said...

Thanks Mauri!! I'm thinking Ella may enjoy the freaky house on Sayles. I had forgotten about it and think we may now need to go visit it. Ha! She may have nightmares about Christmas, but hey she'll get over it.

Ashley said...

Love the post.

I would say the pros are festive decorations and the cons are sometimes outfits that are "too festive". I am all about a Christmas shirt or sweater, but the bell necklace and the holly ear rings have got to go!

Jenny Wilkinson said...

So everyone thinks the Sayles house is creepy. It brings me joy because it's one of the few on Sayles that makes my house look good. I wonder how many accidents it's caused. Does torturing your dog with glittered collars and naughty shirts go on the pros or cons list?

Jenny Wilkinson said...

Did I say torture? I meant to say that you spoil Mr. Gatsby with those wonderful things. He does look really cute in the shirt. I'll admit it.