Friday, November 2, 2007

Freedom!

It's my favorite time of year. Fall is here, the weather feels great, leaves are finally changing colors (for the few trees we have here), football games provide great napping opportunities, and pledging is over on the ACU campus! For those of you that don't know, part of my job is being the advisor to Social Clubs at ACU. Some of you might initially think FUN! Well, 9 months out of the year I would say yes. But while pledging is going on, life is on hold. I feel like I'm more involved than I was as a club officer... maybe that's because I have 11 clubs instead of just one. And this year has been especially hard as we've implemented some changes... good changes that will be good for clubs and the University. But you know how social clubs react to change. (**Disclaimer: this post is not for alumni to gripe about how pledging has gone weak! That's just not true. Most of the activities we all participated in still exist. So, move on. Ok, off my soap box.) So along with Halloween came freedom for me as it marked the end of pledging! In honor of this occassion, I thought I'd take a stroll down memory lane and dedicate this post to the Nunu's of 1999. (Yes, we are officially old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old, old nu's... man are we old!)
And so it begins...


Blindfolded ... my predominant pledging memory.
who would have thought my big sis' was taking kissy pictures?
(Especially since you were so scary, Jodi!)


NuNu Powers
I like Big Pins, and I can not lie....


Traci's and Kristin's faces crack me up!
& the two of us in Galaxy gear married Gammas!


Happy 80th Birthday, Kojies!


It was SO COLD at breakfast!

Parade Time!
This is when 80 yr. old GATA's came up to me screaming

"Happy 78th Birthday Kojies!". I'm still emotionally scarred.


I sure loved wearing colors to the football games!

Random.


Last time in a Blindfold....


A few HOURS later...
You're a Kojie Now!


We are the Women of Ko Jo Kai... badadadum!


Thanks for walking down memory lane with me. Truthfully, looking through these pictures and remembering all we did in club was a reminder to me of why I do what I do. Club blessed me with such special friendships I never would've had otherwise. And for all you non Kojies out there, I promise I treat your clubs well too! : )

15 comments:

Lori said...

Oh wow! Thanks for the stroll! Those pics are too funny. :)

Anonymous said...

Fun pictures, Mauri!

Felicia said...

Doesn't it seem like just the other day we were doing all that? This post made me think of the fact that you now know everyone's "secrets"...how fun! I'm glad pledging is over for you!

Allison said...

I loved looking at all of those pictures. It doesn't seem all that long ago, does it?!

allyo said...

Ooh. What a great memory. I am impressed how many pictures you were able to find. Glad that you finally get to have a life.

Cara said...

Yay for pledging being over! I think your popularity rating will now rise significantly:) You are a patient soul for taking on social clubs. Those pictures crack me up and bring back surreal memories. Enjoy having freedom again:)

Leslie said...

Wow, what fun times. Loved the memory lane and I can not believe its been THAT long! Glad you are involved in the clubs at ACU. Make sure all those kids stay in line. =)

Jodi said...

That is so fun!! Man, we look like babies! :) I can't even think of how "old" of a Nu I am! We had some good times, didn't we?? :) Seriously, one of the biggest blessings of my life was getting to be your big sis and become your eternal friend. I still have notes from you kept in my Bible! Just wish I could see you more... but none of that 6:00am stuff like we did that fall. Yuck...

And I know you are such a blessing to all the clubs now. Greatness. Feel free to spill some Siggie secrets my way so I can baffle my friends!! J/K! :) Love ya!

Jodi said...

PS. and I WAS so mean! What are you talking about?!?!

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

JODI WAS MEAN! Kidding! :) I remember that last pic in front of your house after the Kojie retreat at a hotel RIGHT NEXT TO I20 in Weatherford!

Unknown said...

Those pictures are too funny! I recently ran across pledging pictures from when I pledged also, and it just cracked me up. I also remember the retreat the Molly was talking about off of I-20 and how my small group met in the parking lot of the hotel with cars zooming by us on the highway. It really was crazy. Sadly, I don't have many memories of the year you pledged. Why is that? Was I even there? : )

I am glad that pledging is over for you now. Even when I was at ACU, I always thought that being in charge of pledging was such a thankless job.

The Houston's said...

Great post!! Ahhh, memories!

Kelby said...

Mauri...nice blast from the past on the pics. I'm going to link your blog on mine...

Kristen said...

Great post! I loved the pics you found! What a fun time to remember. I can't believe life goes by so fast!!! :)

Charis said...

Fun times :) Hope you now enjoy your 9 month break!