I still remember waiting outside Moody on that fateful day that Welcome week started. We were all waiting to go inside, having no idea what awaited us! And here's why I remember it so clearly. Traci and I were hanging out with her Midland friends. We were wearing our welcome week t-shirts like we were supposed to. The style was a little different then (does anyone else think it's sad that college was long enough ago that the styles have changed???) and everyone wore things BIG. Being the whopping 88 pounds I was at the time, they gave me the smallest size shirt they had: an EXTRA LARGE. So, naturally I had cut it off at the bottom. Don't get me wrong, it was modest and still long enough, but I had cut it just a bit too short to tuck in . Long story short, one of the guys and I were goofing around and he picked me up and turned me upside down... you can see where this is going. As the shirt started to go up, the guy that picked me up freaked out and dropped me on my head. All this happened in front of my new class of 1000 students. But I guess it's better he dropped me on my head than me flash my entire class!

Welcome week was different back in our day. Who'll ever forget Mud Day? ...The cotton in the ears, the hoses outside the dorms to wash us down! There's a lake and a new building in that field now, and mud day is no more. But as much as things have changed, they've stayed the same. There's still twister, and candle light devo. There's still freshmen scared to death, and freshmen that couldn't have come to college soon enough. So here's a toast to the freshmen of 2008- I hope you have the same experiences I had a decade ago. I hope you have days where you go to the bean (which has been renovated and is awesome!) to eat after chapel and have so much fun talking with friends you don't leave until after dinner. I hope you bowl in the hallway of your residence hall after curfew. I hope you take weekend trips with your friends, but that you also make up ridiculous stuff to do in Abilene. I hope you are challenged to connect what you are learning in the classroom to what you will do when you graduate. I hope you make your faith your own. I hope you make some of the best friends of your life. And I hope that when you leave this place, you aren't the same as when you came.
For all of you Wildcats out there, what is your favorite welcome week memory? and what do you wish for this new class of freshmen?
13 comments:
I'm sending an email to VanRheenen to suggest you as the commencement speaker this year!
Twister!!!
Every year when I see all the freshman and parents moving stuff into the dorm, I get excited for them and a little part of me wishes I was one of them! There are just so many fun times and new experiences coming their way!
For some reason, most of my Welcome Week memories are from my upperclassman years as an Energy Group leader or on steering committee. I remember some late night Sonic runs, working on the Welcome Week Booklet (shout out to Sara, Luke and Jamie!), driving around the freshman dorms on golf carts at 6 a.m. with bullhorns to wake up the freshman for Sunrise Devo, and of course (just for you Matt -- are you reading this?) making the world's largest number 74 out of cardboard and orange paint.
Ahh, memories...Great post, Mauri!
Great post, Mauri! :) Brings back the memories! So, my favorite welcome week memory was actually going to cross country camp in New Mexico with the team. It was SO much fun to bond with my new teammates. Kinda stinks that we missed out on most regular welcome week events... and also explains why I wasn't friends with many of you guys till AFTER my cross country days! Hope you have a great start to the school year :)
Love that post. Seriously, could you BE any more perfect for your job??!!
Welcome Week 1996... let's see... I remember candle light and sunrise devo most vividly. The sap that I am cried of course. I just remember falling head over heels in love with ACU and being SO thrilled to be there. And the singing in the amphitheatre... amazing!!! (I also remember deciding/needing to sleep in one morning only to have my Energy Group leader show up at my dorm to ask why I wasn't at group. I was tired and didn't understand why they wouldn't let me sleep!!) Oh, what I wouldn't GIVE to be doing that again!!! Good times...
Hey, nobody gave me the memo about the cotton in the ears! That's the first I ever heard of that.... I couldn't hear out of my left ear for days!
This post makes me wish I was a freshman again... can we go back?
Tears!! Mauri, I want to go to Welcome Week right now! I remember all of the things you mentioned....Even your shirt incident. I don't know if I saw it, but I remember talking about it later. Thanks for the memories. I love you.
I met my hubby the first day of welcome week!! Can't beat that!!!
Look, you can't write sweet, sentimental things like that... I am prego and cry about everything! I have snot running down my nose and my husband is worried. :) Seriously it has been 10 years??? Wow! Oh the memories! Thanks for the sweet and wonderful walk down memory lane!
ah welcome week '98. i'm so glad you took the time to remind us all why that first week at acu was so special!
ohh what a great post! I also want to go back sometimes. I love that we live closer to Abilene so we can come to stuff now. :)
I don't remember my favorite memory, but I met Casey my jr. year welcome week. He was a transfer group leader and I met him at Sonic right by the volleyball courts. LOVE Welcome Week and ACU!!! :)
Those times were so awesome and exciting! I hope I never forget them. Just reading about it takes me right back there. Wasn't it such a blast!?!
I too remember the giant "Right Now" welcome week shirts. Ahh, I can hear the theme song now! I remember wondering if it was a nod to 80's fashion or if they were going to be handing out purple and white tee-ties for the extra 2 feet of shirt I had left to tuck into my high waisted shorts.
-Katie Beitler
Post a Comment