Monday, July 28, 2008

Gopher wood, anyone?

We had a great long weekend in Ruidoso with my parents, trying to get away from this Texas heat! I don't think it topped 70 degrees the entire time we were there. We had quite a bit of rain, but that was great with us... Just don't pay attention to what the rain did to my hair! We had a quaint little cabin in the Upper canyon and it was so nice to just get away for a few days...

Chris and I in Cloud Croft


Gatsby loved all the smells and trees to "leave his mark!"
This was his first real vacation!

And now for the title of this post and my reference to Noah's Arc. Remember the rain I mentioned? Well, as it turns out we got about 7 inches of rain within 24 hours. We were in the car with my parents to go sight seeing on Sunday, but as soon as we pulled out of our cabin area, about 1 block down we ran into this:

These cops were taking pics with their cell phones, which I thought was kind of funny.
This is the cabin area right before ours.
You can see the one on the right has already flooded!
Oops! Not ours, thankfully!
It was so crazy seeing how fast and quickly the waters rose. In our family pic below, you can see a smaller river behind us. When we got there, you couldn't even find the little stream that was back there, but by the time we left it was a full blown river! We ended up cutting our trip a few hours short so that we could make sure we could get out the back way. And depsite the natural disaster, we had a great time.
It's now 103 degrees in Abilene. I think I'll take the flood.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad the rain and flooding didn't ruin your trip and that you all got out without drowning! I love the pictures by the way...such an adorable family, especially your son Gatsby.

Kelby said...

Chris didn't trade in his truck for the Ford Astrovan? He should seriously consider making that guy an offer on the flooded van...major vehicle upgrade over that truck he's cruising around

Ashley said...

Your hair looks so good wet. It makes me jealous. Glad you had a good weekend and you didn't float away!

Tricia said...

So glad you had a fun trip. Did you know that Meredith and Ryan Ware were in Ruidoso last week too? We are going to be there in a couple of weeks, I hope. That is where we go for our vacation too.
Love the pictures!!!

Leah said...

Did Gatsby watch DVDs on the drive there? I am so glad he got a vaca-I am sure he needed it. It has been a hot summer. Glad you guys didn't float away and got some time away.

Kristen said...

We just got back from Ruidoso tonight...we were there since Thursday. :) Looks like lots of people love to vacation in Ruidoso...glad you had a great time and survived the flood.

Jenny Wilkinson said...

Okay, I am officially going to have to go the this Ruidoso everyone speaks of.