Thursday, July 10, 2008

Birds of a feather...

So, I may not be the best gardener in the world.... most of my flowers from summer project number 1 have bit the dust (although the roses are still holding on for dear life!). BUT, evidently I can provide a pretty good home for Peanut Butter and Jelly, our new baby birds. Poor little guys, there are no trees out here for a good nest so they had to settle for a hanging basket.


Momma bird is never very far away!
Tonight Momma had a friend, and I think it's daddy, but he was camera shy.
Chris isn't so sure...

We had a great time in Kerrville for the 4th... WAY too much good food and some pretty good shopping to boot! But most importantly, great time with family! Other than that, summer is just going by far too fast. Only 6 weeks still school starts back. Yikes! Whatever happened to the lazy days of summer?

9 comments:

Wade said...

How cool!

That reminds me of the time some birds built a nest in the wreath hanging on our front door. It wasn't as cute because instead of baby birds we just got a lot of bird poo!

Dirty, stinkin' birds!

Tricia said...

Why did you go to Kerrville? Wes is from Kerrville and we go there all the time. Great pics of your birds.

Kim Winter said...

Not to be morbid, but when Peanut Butter and Jelly start learning how to fly, watch out for snakes. Last year we had some birds build a nest on our front porch and have baby birds. I thought it was so cute and Morgan and I watched them everyday. One day they started trying to fly and practiced all day. The next morning when I opened the front door, there was a huge snake under the nest, just waiting for one to fly too close to the ground. It was just a big bull snake, but still.....

Hope you guys are doing good.

Alison said...

It was so great to see you when we were in Abilene! Enjoy the rest of your summer! It does go by too fast!

Jenny Wilkinson said...

If that wasn't the daddy then your baby bird may be running an escort service out of you hanging basket. You might need to set down some ground rules.

Lori said...

That is so neat to have baby birds, and I have to say I love the names... so cute. I've been meaning to tell you it was great to see you randomly at hickory street. Hope all is going well still and maybe the summer will slow down a little for you (it never does, but wishful thinking!).

Jodi said...

We too have baby birds in a hanging basket on our porch! Fun! But I haven't named them... maybe something as cute as PB&J will come to me eventually. :)

Tricia said...

I will ask Wes if he knows Chris. They grew up at the Kerrville C of C and his mom still goes there, Gwynne Fikes. Wes is older than us, but his brother Chris Fikes is more our age. Let me know whenever you go visit because we are there alot. We have seen Heidi and Philip Houston there alot because that is where Phillip grew up too.

Tricia said...

They know each other, what a small world. Wes said, of course I know him. I am really surprised that we have never seen you in Kerrville. We will have to let each other know when we are going so we can at least see each other at church. We usually leave on Saturday because Wes is a youth minister and we have to be back for Sunday...I guess that is why we have never seen you. Maybe we will in the future. I hope!