Thursday, April 17, 2008

Big Love- Real Life

So, I've blogged about Big Love before... the show on HBO about a Polygamist family living "the principle". The show is crazy, but I have a feeling it's not as crazy as what's playing out in real life in Eldorado, TX.



It's hard to believe that the real life BIG LOVE is playing out right here in the Lone Star State!To top it off, Chris got an email asking for any willing local attorneys to go to San Angelo and serve as attorneys ad litem for the children. But I couldn't talk him into going! Apparently, he doesn't share my fascination with these people!

It's hard for me to even fathom what life must be like for them. Evidently the women never cut their hair because it's their crown of glory and brings them closer to God. And each family dresses in a specific color so they can keep track of who's who. Can you imagine be married off at 14 to someone 30 years older (who happens to already have other wives and children)? Then being a mere child having your own children? And even more so, what it must be like now, having been taken from the only lifestyle they've ever known? This is one true life story that I wish was left to a fictional tv series.

6 comments:

Kim Winter said...

That is so funny - I just wrote a post entitled "Big Love Deep in the Heart of Texas." I can't believe that Chris did not go down there - that would have been great! We could have been in the loop. I think that they still need a few more attorneys, at last count they had 350 for 416 kids. Maybe he would reconsider?

Jenny Wilkinson said...

This morning they had the "lost boys" on the Today Show that basically had the real-life story of Bill. I know the show is based on this sect but it's kind of crazy to see it all unfold. I really feel bad for all the little ones without their mommies. It's not being handled as well as I am sure HBO would have done it.

Ashley said...

I just can not fathom

Allison said...

I know exactly what you mean. I am obessed with the news. Part of me just wants to take in those kids and just love them and show them the light!

It really breaks my heart to see those mothers so heart-broken. You know it's sincere too. To be so brain-washed from birth is hard to fathom.

Anonymous said...

I'm ready for an update, Missie! What's going on in Mauri's world?

Shelly said...

I missed you and your crown of glory Sunday.